About Me

Friday, September 6, 2013

How do you Caffeine?











  • Caffeine

    Drug
  • Caffeine is a bitter, white crystalline xanthine alkaloid and a stimulant drug. Caffeine is found in varying quantities in the seeds, leaves, and fruit of some plants, where it acts as a natural pesticide ... Wikipedia

    Well, caffeine is not good for you or me. See here, here, and here. Even if it does come from a plant (wait, so does cocaine).

    But many of us drink it anyway because it does this.


    Myself included.

    Why? I HAVE TOO MUCH TO DO IN TOO LITTLE TIME. Who the hell thought it would be a good idea for school to start at 7:30 in the freaking morning? Couldn't politicians do one nice thing for all of society and start school an hour later? 

    Now I want to swear, all the bad words. 

    I was always a good foodie snob. Michael Pollan was my homeboy. I checked labels for trans fats, shopped the outside of the grocery store, avoided packaged food. I banned high fructose corn syrup and anything with the word "hydrogenated." Also, Charles took a nutrition class from the mother-of-all-nutritionists where we learned once again -- caffeine sucks.

    And I will be honest. I was really judegemental, holier than thou, elitist, etc. toward my Diet Coke drinking friends. In fact, if my friends drank soda regularly, I typically just thought they were stupid and lower on the ladder of intellectual prowess. I mean, how can you do that to your body and be a thinking individual?
    Caffeine Play

    Enter: Me as a school teacher. Cute bun, glasses, eating peppers for a snack.

    Enter Exhaustion: Late nights, over worked, underpaid 

    Enter Caffeine: Insidious at first. A little here, a little there. Then one day, after a whole lot of being tired, not doing what I want, feeling like a slug--came the caffeine big guns. ZipFizz. The name alone makes me cringe. 

    I hated myself. But liked how it made me feel! 

    For over a year I drank one of these babies every single day. I even had a little episode where I had to have a mammogram because of an issue I was having--mammogram turned out fine, and the cause of this unexplainable breast pain according to my doctor was...caffeine.

    Crap.

    Went off it for a week. Then back on again--drinking one a day, dealing with the breast pain. Because, how can you feel alive without caffeine?

    I'm a slow learner.  

    ZipFizz has the same amount of caffeine as a cup of coffee and I am a mormon. Even hell was not enough to keep me away.

    Enter Anxiety: Just the mornings at first, then at nights too, then all the time.

    Enter completely stupid me: Why am I so anxious, sad, depressed all the time? Where has my creative energy gone? Why do I always feel like shit?

    Finally somthing clicked...and I thought maybe, just maybe, this caffeine thing is doing more harm than good.  The plan was to stop drinking it, but I still had a lot of ZippFizz in my house. I drank it everyday until it was gone.

    And I was so proud of myself. And felt A LOT better. I mean, even I was surprised by the negative effects it was having on my brain, energy, sleep, and just general mood stability. For a month I was caffeine free.

    But then I was going through an old purse and found 2 more! Drank those immediately (imagine me crying "My precious! My precious!" while drinking the elixir).

    So I just drank the last one five minutes ago.

    And now I'm going off it for good.

    Here's a caffeinated toast to going off caffeine!


    Smiles,

    Erica








  • 2 comments:

    Louise Plummer said...

    "My precious, my precious." Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

    Katy said...

    I'm such an addict! I've stooped to taking Excedrin with caffeine. What will my bishop say?