About Me

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Three Collections of Short Stories



I have just finished reading three sets of short stories; The Expendables by Antonya Nelson, No Lie Like Love by Paul Rawlins and Jesus' Son by Denis Johnson. All three of the collections were surprising and wonderful, all have informed my writing in some way. Denis Johnson's writing dared me to write characters who live on the fringes of society, Antonya Nelson has prompted more control in my writing so that I can in turn be more daring, and Paul Rawlins inspires me to push for rhythm in each line...his ending gave me goosebumps. If you are skeptical about the short story but want to give it a try, start with Jesus' Son. It will blow you away.

4 comments:

kathy w. said...

Thanks for the recommendations.

Louise Plummer said...

Gee, and I just read TWILIGHT.

Shannon said...

I don't think I've ever actually finished a collection of short stories, but that sounds like something I can handle right now, short. I will check it out. Thanks!

Nate & Emily said...

Erica-
Will you email me you and Charles email, phone#? My dad asked for them. He said your old email is bouncing back to him! Hope you guys have a great Thanksgiving. I miss the times we all gathered at Gma and Gpa's for dinner around their table with towel on the chairs!