1. My father had a heart attack two weeks ago today. After some procedures that I don't wholly understand which involve arteries and expansion instruments along with some new medications, my father is fine. Now when the phone rings I feel a moment of panic. It could be about my Dad, and he could be dead and that would be awful. I wouldn't have predicted a heart attack. He is the healthiest 67 year old I know. He is thin. His muscles haven't turned to sag like all the other men his age. He is tan in winter. He is not even grey. He will still get on the floor and play with a dog and get under a car and fix whatever cars have that need to be fixed. I don't want him to die because I love him. And I hate that I'm even thinking about these things. 2. My University is really starting to get to me. I can't stand the people who play the stupid piano in the wilk at nine-thirty in the morning. Wednesday I walked into the bathroom and saw a student on the couch using a breast pump and reading the scriptures. Today I heard a student say, "I love Now and Laters, they are such a climax." Go get a real climax, I wanted to say. Then I heard a student talking on their cell phone, "The first thing I wanted to tell him was, you need to repent and the second thing I wanted to tell him was, you're freaking stupid." I feel that real balance could be brought to the school if everyone had a climax and a cigarette. At the same time.
3. I am at the point in the semester when I come home and my head hurts and my neck and shoulders are tight and it's easy to cry. Swimming is saving my life. It has this strange power to make me feel that I can get through the day joyfully and bravely and with dignity.
4. I love pleasant grove. I had to drive to PG high to give Anne's old German teacher some application materials (she is applying to go to Germany for her Junior year...cry, heave, fit, cry) and I have rarely been in such a beautiful place. Pleasant Grove is nestled against the mountains, looks onto the lake, the old houses are still standing in all their glory and I can't help but fancy living there 100 years ago. All I would need is a house and a horse...so I could get to the lake.
5. Super thankful that I married Charles. Life would just be too awful if he weren't part of this awfulness with me.
6 comments:
I'm so sorry about all the crap going on and that you're feeling so blah about it. I seriously was cracking up reading about your experiences on campus. Sometimes you just have to shake your head say "seriously???".
Anyway, hang in there. The semester is almost over. I'm glad that swimming is helping you out. I have, for some reason, just needed a break this week. I will be back next week, I promise. In the meantime, you're definitely in my thoughts.
swimming is the best. i need to do it more.
I love you Erica and I aspire to be like you.
How did you overhear me talking about Now and Laters? I didn't think anybody was around...
amen to swimming saving my life as well!! a gift from the gods!
A climax and a cigarette: the answer to all of life's problems, I'm pretty sure.
Post a Comment