Me, Max and Charles in Central Park
I imagined living close to Chris and Scar and saw Sunday Dinners, picnics, yoga sessions and treats. Then I saw myself as Auntie Erica to their future babies. Their Babies would come to my house while Chris and Scar went to some noisy rock concert and I would become their kiddies favorite aunt.
I saw myself shopping at the Fairway market which would insure peanut butter bliss for the rest of my life. (They have this machine that grinds peanuts right before your eyes and spits out super yummy peanut butter!)
Chris and Scarlett said I could swim at the YMCA. Why does that sound so awful? I would have to run again and I saw my calfs strengthen and snazzy new running shoes and me speeding through central park. And while I was at it I saw my short story (the one about the two pregnant teenagers) published in The New Yorker and my subsequent book deal, and then my pulitzer prize and then my oh-so-distinguished position at NYU.
In real life I got a massive headache. I know that now is not the time to move. So I am instead commited to bring a bit of New York back to my Utah world. I will wear more scarves and boots and less make-up. I will go to more museums and shows. I will find a Vietnamese restraunt. I will walk more. I will help at the kids school. I will buy flowers on the weekends.
11 comments:
It sounded like you guys had a ton of fun! I've never been to the Big Apple, I've always wanted to but I just didn't.... Your hair is getting so long! It's adorable!
Well I'm glad that you loved New York, but if you leave Daybreak before I'm dead, I'm going to be really hostile about it.
So, ut definitely can't compete with that. But you can get ground-before-your-very-eyes peanut butter at The Good Earth. My neighbors think I'm a hippie because I shop there.
Give us five years! Maybe we'll all end up on the east coast. (shh, don't tell Tom!)
Is that a churro dipped in ketchup?
Tom's seen your comment, Louise. Let me just tell you, Erica. You try to leave Daybreak before I'm dead, and I'll come to New York to haunt you. HAUNT YOU. BOOOOOOOOOOOOO...OOOOOO....OOOOOO. That's what I'll sound like. And I'll clank pans and dishes and rattle door locks and windows. You'll say to Charles, "Do you think your dad could really be that mad?" And the answer is Y E S.
Oh pu lease.
Looks like a great trip. It is an amazing city, but you definitely have to deal with some cons. I love NYC and can't wait to go back. I hope to see the true New Yorker in you emerge, but I really would miss you at the pool.
Screw the little apartment Erica, let's buy a brownstone together in Brooklyn. We'll have the backyard, the roof deck and the garden. If we're lucky we will even find a place for the car on the street.
Yes! I'm all for it!
Love this post, Erica! I'm glad you had a good time while you were here. It would be the BEST if your daydream came true.
Post a Comment