About Me

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Little Miss Naughty

On Friday, my fiction class reviewed my short story. After class someone (my professor wouldn't tell me who) complained about having to read indecent material. The student was referring to my use of the words shit and pussy breath. The professor said he was glad the university hadn't "softened" me and that taking out the "language" would only diminish the strength of the story. So in the end I got the go ahead to be Little Miss Naughty (not that I needed permission).

5 comments:

Louise Plummer said...

Erica, I thought your story was really really good. It's energetic and quirky and thoroughly post-modern. Some of my favorite zingers: "The night held no color. The dark had pushed the color through a sieve and held it trapped. The stars were the pulp that was left."

". . .now we were both pregnant, four months apart, and our babies, we had found out, were going to be brothers."

"The spring had cleaned up the air, sucked up Utah's inversion with its budding trees."

"She would still get in fights like her uterus was not filled with human life."

"And I suddenly knew it was me that got her pregnant. It was me that had filled Brittany with matter carrying the properties of shortened happiness and calloused affection."

Little Miss Naughty will have to eat it.

kathy w. said...

Erica, I'm soooo glad you're not going to let a comment like that stop you from writing your beautiful stuff. If anyone gives you a hard time during class, I'll take your side.

Tom Plummer said...

Louise read your story to me right after we got the manuscript, and I enjoyed ever morsel. Pussy breath--now there's an image--is something most people in the administration building wouldn't understand anyway. Way to go!!!

Louise Plummer said...

I just realized that "Little Miss Naughty will have to eat it" doesn't make sense. It's Miss Easily Offended that has to eat it. Kidneys for brains.

Shannon said...

Oh yes, gotta love Utah. I would love to read your story. Any way you would email it to me or something?