About Me

Sunday, August 24, 2008

My Man is 34!




I officially knew Charles when he was sixteen years old...so I have gotten to see him through the ages. I have known him for eighteen years. Holy Cow. He hasn't really changed that much. He was smarter than anyone I knew eighteen years ago and is smarter than anyone I know now. When Charles turned 18 he had to sign his draft card, and afterward we went to the parking lot of Provo High and tried to burn the pen that he signed it with. That didn't work. Charles is still against war. The Bush presidency has filled his pants with ants a thousand times over. Charles had long hair when he was a teenager. Now, he only gets 2 haircuts a year so 50% of the time he has long hair. When we were young he was obtuse about his birthday and he's the same way now. I still threw him a party--it took about all I had to do it too. I spent the day making cake, a fancy lasagna, cleaning house, getting balloons and inviting his parents. Party time came and we barely made it through the party alive. At one point I insisted that we speak civilly for ten minutes. The men couldn't think of anything to say. I felt like the teacher on recess duty--constant in insisting that everybody play nice. But like always we count it as good times. 
Best quote from the party: The thing about aging is that you don't need a whoopy cushion anymore.

4 comments:

Louise Plummer said...

Obtuse is such a good word and it applies perfectly in the case of Charles and his birthday. You deserve major points for the lovely dinner. I thought the lasagne was delicious. I can't account for the conversation. We tried. We really did.

Tom Plummer said...

Thank you Erica, again, for the wonderful party. It was obvious that you had worked long and hard to pull it off, and I'm sure it was disappointing that the males were obtuse. I was beyond obtuse--I was downright dense. When we got in the car to go home, Louise mentioned the "strain" in the conversations. Should I say "strains"? I said, "What strains?" I'm afraid I'm otherwise enabled when it comes to sensitivity. But I agree with Louise. Obtuse is a fine word--unless you are pissed off at the perpetrators of obtuseness.

kathy w. said...

Erica! Your blog is so cute. Thanks for letting me read!

Anonymous said...

He's still younger than both of my parents! They both turned 36 this year! Thinking as far back as I can think. My mom has changed so much, she's cut her hair and dyed it blonde.... My dad's given up on Drumming, and got to too many jobs.... Where does time go???