About Me

Friday, August 22, 2008

Thoughts on the Changing Seasons



These shots were taken by Anne last month. The photos have captured my kids personalities perfectly. I am now preparing to go back to school. This week was my last full week of Summer. I took full advantage and spent a lot of time sleeping and swimming, both of which will be hard for me to do during school. I am often asked what is it that I want to do with this masters degree. The truth is that I don't know. This summer has, in some ways been a summer of discovery. One thing I know is that I don't like sitting all day, I love being up and about cleaning, gardening, running errands. But I also know that Summer all year round is a drag---after a while it's just the never ending wiggles episode. Winter brings thoughtfulness, serenity, warmth. I don't want to eat summer salads with cheerful peppers all year long. I might go on to a Ph.d. program. I might get my teaching certificate in preparation to teach secondary school. I definately want to write. This statement comes with more questions, people always want to know what I will write about. How do I say? I want to write about the body as the place where understanding occurs. It is through the body that we learn compassion, pain, love, and jubilance. I started thinking a lot about the body during my renaissance studies where I found a wealth of insights about the human body. I want to play around with those ideas. I want to write about women and the power they gain through sisterhood. I want to present the intricacies of negotiating virtue. I'll deal with high stakes immorality and small stakes immorality and hope to find the devastation in both. These are the things I think about, but it's not like I sit down and think, I'm going to write about morality! Instead I come up with a nugget of a character; a man, a cane, a disease and then I go from there.

4 comments:

Louise Plummer said...

"I want to write about the body as the place where understanding occurs." Wow. Go for it. It sounds wonderful. That's exactly why you're in school--to help you clarify what it is you want to write. It's all good.

dede said...

I think that is a fascinating topic.

Last week I read the book "Blindness" by Saramago. Amazing book, but he touches on this topic in an interesting way...having everyone go blind and what that does to our morality and how we act.

You are my inspiration to actually do something, even if you don't know what it is.

Tom Plummer said...

You're on to something big, Erica. Go for it. You don't have to know yet what you're going to write about. Start writing, and it will emerge. It's the magic of writing.

Anonymous said...

I love Myra and Max, they are so adorable. If I had little siblings they would be them!