This morning Maxwell, Mira, and I grabbed gas and a donut and headed up Bangerter Highway, driving through a flash flood. I set my windshield wipers to the fastest setting and could still barely see. There was so much rain here on the west side that my high school was flooded. Is there anyone out there who still doesn't believe in global warming? The melting arctic is pouring right down on us. Maybe global warming will be good for Utah. Maybe we will turn into a beautiful green farmland. Here's hoping.
Maxwell held our printed directions (still don't have an iPhone) and guided me along the way. To I-15, to I-89, to I-84, to Morgan, and finally to a piece of property nestled in East Canyon. I walked across the grass and saw all my family, including nieces and nephews, cousins and their families. "These are my very favorite people," I thought.
Hugs all around.
Laughter.
I loved seeing my sister and her beautiful dark-haired daughters. I love that my brother-in-law Derek teases me just like he did when I was ten and he was dating Pam.
My cousins are in the thick of raising young children which is why it has been so long since we have seen them. I was in this place ten years ago. Those were insane times; I think I cried every night for a whole year--it was just such a hysterical season. My cousins are so wonderful and to say I miss them would be a huge understatement. My greatest joy as a child was being with them--we would literally run at full speed to each other when we got together. I adore them all now just as much now as I did when I was 2.
Maxwell rode a horse, held a snake, and shot a sling shot. Mira rode a horse, played volleyball, tetherball and became best friends with Rebecca--a cute little cousin with a lot to say.
I saw Jeff, my seafaring brother. He is back from the sea until next year and survived tsunami's and cyclones. Pretty legit.
Everyone asked about Anne.
Uncle David wants me to get onto Family Search.
Everyone stayed longer than they had planned, but I stayed the longest, chatting with Emily because there was just so much to ask and say. I feel like Lot's wife, because I want to go back. Back to 1985 in Hawaii, where I'd have a full two weeks to play with my cousins and that is all.
I can taste the salt already.
2 comments:
Ok Erica, you made my eyes water. Diddo to all you say! We all love "The Cousisns". "The" is an important part of the title. So great to see you all! We will plan on next year again for sure. Love you!
I kept remembering that this was happening all day and how I was missing it. Thank you for the write up.
Post a Comment