About Me

Thursday, October 7, 2010

I Miss

I miss writing. Terribly. Every time I give my students a writing assignment I become jealous, wishing it were me writing up an essay about being sick, or what I did over the Summer.

They are becoming strong writers under my tutelage, learning to replace pronouns with the specific reference, add those gritty, fabulous details, and vary their sentence length. I forced them to learn the difference between "its" and "it's." They got it. If I can now teach them "a lot," I will be infinitely happy. I feel such satisfaction in what I do all day. I made Freshman read Tobias Wolff! Sandra Cisneros! (Now that girl can throw together a sentence.)

Charles comes home with his writing assignments from school. He has to write an experimental novel this semester. I ache every time I see him read a new school-assigned text or spend hours at the computer assembling words. I don't miss school, really. Graduate School was over-the-top-self-absorbed for me. The old adages of "Am I smart emough? Good enough? And Blah Blah Neurosis" are gone. The energy of teaching feels much better. But I do miss new books, authors, and those eccentric professors forcing me to write.

I do spend the day celebrating language. Relishing words. Being with the most awkward people on the planet.

Melanie Rae Thon was a favorite professor. I think about her all the time. I think about how she would love my students like I do, especially the boy who can't smile and had to get a "smile surgery" where they put part of his leg onto his face and still can't smile. I know when he is smiling anyway, because I can figure those sorts of things out. I wish I could tell MRT all about him.

I think about how if MRT were me, she would write for hours in her writers notebook about the wet ash that floats off of the mountain, weeks after the fire.


6 comments:

Ryan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ryan said...

We miss you and think about you often. Especially every time somebody in the family gets a haircut, or as Maggie calls it, a "ericaht."


You are so right about self-absorbing grad school
http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive/phd100610s.gif

emi. said...

shoot girl...

sami said...

i love this one erica :) i can just picture you... being the most awesome teacher ever! those kids are really lucky. as for the writing, that day will come again... and think of all the juicy new material and perspective you will have....

<3

C. C. Fawson said...

Then write here more please...we are an eager audience.

Jeff Janae & Crew said...

dear erica-

I really do love how you put together words!

mucho love- janae