About Me

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Lying for Truth



The image thing is starting to get really old, but I'm determined to keep doing it.

Last night Charles and I watched the biggest looser. Afterwards, Max and Mira wanted to know EXACTLY how they measured in comparison to the fatsos on the screen. So we took an internet visit over to the Mayo Clinic for a child BMI measurement. Max came in at normal (if his percentage had been just a little lower he would have been considered underweight).

Then to Mira. By one tenths of a percent, she was considered overweight. The word flashed in big green letters across the screen. I have never shut a laptop so fast. "What did it say?" Mira asked. "It said you were normal." And Mira was satisfied with that. But Max saw what the computer had said. He saw me lie and he felt an injustice was done. I could see him ready to blurt out OVERWEIGHT. "Shhh," I said to Max. And later, "Thank you."

Because there is no way I'm telling a six year old who is not overweight that she is overweight.

3 comments:

Megan said...

Good for you. If Mira is overweight then I am an oompa-loompa. And last time I checked i am not orange with green hair. That was one of those good lies.

Shannon said...

That is the last thing on earth a 6 year old girl in our society needs to hear. Good for you telling her the truth. She is normal. :)

Louise Plummer said...

This is one scary story.