About Me

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Pioneer Theatre Company's Romeo and Juliet



I was going to put "Theatre Tickets" on my wish list. My wish list is a running jumble of things that I want now but can't have; better landscaping for my side yards, trees, a deck, a basement, a new couch. When I was younger, and Anne and Harrison were little nubkins, I imagined taking them to the theatre when they were teens. Lately this image has preoccupied my mind. Me, Charles, Anne and Harrison heading off to the theatre, looking lovely, eating at Trio before the production. All the other items on my wish list have become of little importance compared to this vision of a night at the theatre. But too bad, no money, so "theatre tickets" would only be added to my ever hopeless wish list. The list that never comes to fruition. But then I checked the Pioneer Theatre's website and lo and behold, people with a valid U of U I.D. can go to preview night for free. F.R.E.E.

I immediately went to the basement where Charles was working and said, "I have something that you cannot say no to."
"Oh great."
"We can go to the upcoming production of Romeo and Juliet for free with your student I.D."
"And why would we want to do that?"
"Ewww. Your going to take me or I'm finding a new boyfriend who will take me to the theatre."
"Goodluck. There aren't any guys out there that are better than me."
"Just go get the damn theatre tickets today when you're out on your errands."

So it's a deal. And I love Romeo and Juliet and wrote a paper on the way the play's conflicting views of sexual love contributed to the lovers' demise. And Shakespeare is my heart throb. And the Renaissance is my literary love. And Charles is just going to have to suck it.

6 comments:

Pam said...

Good for you! Are we from the same family? I don't know if I could be that emphatic.

dede said...

I thought Charles loved the theater and especially Shakespeare! My whole idea of who Charles is has been shattered.
Hope you guys have fun.

Louise Plummer said...

Yes, Charles. Suck it up and take your wife to a free Shakespeare play. How hard is that?

Shannon said...

Cheap as free is the only way we make it to the theater either. Have fun!
PS-You totally crack me up.

Erin said...

Ericka-
You make me laugh! Romeo and Juliet is one of my favorite plays ever, enjoy!

Lindsey Montague said...

Aren't we all about apostasy? Yes, we are leaving. And by the way, you have never sent me your site and I am totally laughing! Oh, I will miss you and Charles and your great anti-Daybreak personalities. We won't be strangers.