About Me

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Young and Old Bags



It is officially January, which means my birthday is on it's way. I will be 33. I suppose these are the fabulous years. I'm sure they are, but Louise and I were talking, and we talked about Dukkha, which is a Buddhist term and means this; life is suffering and states are impermanent and everything affects everything else. It is this whole "life is suffering" thing that I gravitate to. I saw it this morning when I watched a family at the pool, both parents working too hard to provide, I saw the father's ache for his children, wishing he was a better father. I saw my coach, pregnant with a down syndrome baby named Jet who has a serious heart defect, trying to manage loss, hope and anger in every breath. Suffering. We breathe it. And the country song What a Beautiful Mess rings in my mind. I'll ring in 33. 

Buddha is not what I set to write about, but now I can't erase it. What I really wanted to write about is Nevada, a girl and know peripherally, but who has always intrigued me because she is an ass-kicking kind of girl. If she and her heartthrob ever get married she will be family. But for now we are connected because she loves this cute guy that me and Charles love too. She sews these sweet bags that you can get at youngandoldbags.blogspot.com. And are also sold at my friend's store Koo De Ker. I have asked Charles to get me one of these bags for my birthday. That's what I was trying to tell you all before Buddha took over my brain. Now you know what my mind is like.

2 comments:

Louise Plummer said...

I want you to know that I took an extra dose of you-know-what last night and woke up a new person. I rush wrote all my fears and then did a watercolor. Then I wrote some fiction. It's been a very good day and the universe is looking much brighter. Enough suffering for a week.

Thanks for all the wonderful pics. You were made to drink tea out of a china cup.

emi. said...

i love your brain. can't wait to read your thesis.