About Me

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Musical Rooms

I spent this last week playing musical rooms.

Dilemma

1. I have four children.
2. I have three children's bedrooms.
3. Each child would like their own room.
When A-girl decided to go live in Germany for a year the problem was solved. Each remaining child had their own room. Soon she will be back and the problem starts over. Fret, fret.

I was up late one night with my friend insomnia and we were looking at Ohdeedoh and I found a room I thought was dear. And suddenly a way appeared in my head. A way to make Max and Mira share a room in a way that is kind to both.

One reason the room switching was so hard for me is that I loved M-girls room. It was so perfectly shabby-chic that I hated to change one thing. But that room on Ohdeedoh gave me hope...like Obama hope. Charles came home to a torn apart house, drop cloths, paint, no sign of dinner and a checklist of heavy items to move, such as Armoire's and Bunkbeds. But we got the job done...like Bush but better. Now the children's rooms are so sweet I keep popping in just to look at them. A-girl's new room is positively lovely. M-girl and M-boy's room is happy.

And H-boy's room is fine. The second I start to mess with stuff, he starts to mess with stuff. Like I gave him THE BEST dresser and he took it down to the basement so that he could put the drums in his room. (That was fun)! Then one day he decided to take the drums back down to the basement. He doesn't want a dresser or a bed frame. Both are downstairs. This drives me crazy because I look in his room and think "Here is our neglected child! Let's get him a bed. Let's get him a dresser." Then I remember that both are downstairs because he took them there. He sleeps on a mattress on the floor. No side table. No nothing. Just a little pile of books and cd's next to his mattress.

3 comments:

Anne Louise said...

ARE YOU SERIOUS? Harrison took out all of his furniture and sleeps on the mattress? That room is too cute for just a mattress.

Louise Plummer said...

I want pictures. Take it with your computer if you have to. How are Max and Mira with the change?

Jocelyn said...

Every room was perfect!!!!! I loved seeing them in person. And why haven't I commented in forever?