About Me

Friday, April 3, 2009

Mr. Westwood



Joy!

The topic of bats came up in fiction workshop yesterday, which led to a comment about Dixon Jr. High (my alma mater), and me saying, "I went to Dixon Jr. High."
and James, "Did you know Mr.Westwood?
and me, "Oh my Gosh. Yes!"
and James, "He's my dad."
And I was thinking OH MY GOSH, I am in the midst of Mr. Westwood's progeny, in fact he is my friend, and has been for many months and James is of course brilliant and happy just like Mr. Westwood was brilliant and happy. It was a joyful moment. We talked and talked after class...about Mr. Westwood's logic problems (which I could NEVER get), the way he took care of underdogs, his camaraderie with Mr. Day and Mr. Parson's. We talked about what it was like to have Mr. Westwood as a Dad, and James told me that it was just wonderful. Of course.

So as these things go, I wrote an email to James later that night saying that Charles and I had spent the night talking about Dixon Jr. High, and Mr. Westwood, and good old times, and that this information was a gift to us. James forwarded the email to Mr. Westwood, and then, (prepare yourself) in my in box this morning was an email from the man himself, Mr. Westwood!

I had told James that he wouldn't remember me (and quite honestly hoped he wouldn't because I was just awful in Jr. High) but apparently he did. But he really remembered Charles.

Ahhhhhh, Charles. Every teacher he has ever had remembers him, since nursery school. They remember him the way you remember your smart, potential-filled students. Charles skipped his awkward years, the rest of us were just trying to avoid skid marks, while Charles was smart and funny.

Mr. Westwood said he has often thought of Charles, and wondered what became of him.

So they will be emailing. It is all so nice. And it makes me super excited to be a teacher.

If for some reason you read my blog and had Mr. Westwood, drop a line. We'll take a blog walk down memory lane.

7 comments:

scrilla said...

One more thing, I love your blog! So glad I found it and I also enjoy "Louise." Is that your mother-in-law? She's great, love her too.

Louise Plummer said...

Charles, the teaacher's pet.

Louise Plummer said...

Or maybe teacher's pet.

Lara said...

Is he still there? and, if so, what does he teach? My youngest son will be attending Dixon this fall.

Wanna put in a good word for Forrest (or actually ask Charles to, since he seems to be more favored than you)?

Amy said...

Hello! This will tell you what an expert I am at blogs--I'm trying to figure out how to leave a message for you! Hope this finds you! This is Amy--not of Moonlighting...just Amy Moon. :) I'm glad you are realizing that the blog was not mine--no way, no how... it's just one of the risks we take living next to Chris Thomas. Last year it was the lawn being spray painted green; drunk, puking Elmo on our doorstep on New Year's Eve...the list just goes on and on. :) The blog was pretty amazing though--I'll give him that. Any way, it was great get in contact with you after all this time---even if you thought I was giving into the botoxing fad--nope, face still is full of wrinkles. :) I didn't get to see that one because he removed it, but I've heard I accused 70% of the women in the ward of using...I wonder how people could even look me in the eye over the past couple of months--accusing them of corny blogs and cosmetic procedures. I never saw the Big Love post--I still don't know what was said...I'm sure it couldn't have been enlightening. I'd love to hear an update on your life! I think I've linked my email for you.

Megan said...

Just wanted to let you know that Bree won't be in nursery today. We're leaving after sacrament meeting to visit my parents. Have a great Easter!

Chris said...

Well I though i'd bring the blog back to where we started, on a topic believe it or not. Both me and Scarlett were racking our brains trying to remember Mr. Westwood but we couldn't put a face to the name. I definitely remember Mr. Day and everyone remembers Mr. Parsons. Now I wish I had a yearbook. It must be a little weird getting an email from him all these years later. I wonder if my teachers would remember me?