About Me

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Why We Are Not going to Early Light

Alright. Let's talk.

Many of you have decided to send your child to a new, fancy-on-paper, hope-it's-going-to-be-good, charter school. That's fabulous. Now leave the rest of us alone.

My reasons for NOT sending my kids to the new charter school are:

1. I sent my Anne to the first year of a Charter School in Salt Lake. The school was started by two award winning principles, the school looked amazing on paper, and it still sucked. Mom's tell me this charter school is great now, it just took FOUR years to get it where it needed to be. New schools take time--time I don't have when my kids are heading into important years... Incidentally, the Public Jr. High did a much better job of exciting the brilliance in my children's minds than that charter school did. They score above grade level in social science, math, languages, and art.

2. The elementary school that I'm keeping my kids at has several years behind it. Teachers tell me the bugs are worked out, they say this is the best year they've had. The principle spends time in the classrooms. She only hires cream-of-the-top staff. M & M have had several vigorous and inspiring teachers. I don't have to learn how to maneuver my way through a new school, I've got this one figured out.

3. My school is brand new and two blocks from my house.

4. The elitism, (who's in and who's out) connected with the charter school instantly turns me off. I don't want this for myself or for my kids. It makes me want to puke. I'd much rather be an outsider.

5. People I respect and admire are keeping their kids at my elementary school. They are not the hysteric, driven by fear types. They don't sound like religious fanatics when talking about their school choice. They are people who, like me, have had their kids in many different environments. They know when it's time to shake things up and when it's time to go with the status quo. These are people who, like me, have decided that it's not worth shaking things up.

6. Even if this school is everything and more than it says it will be, I don't think it would make a difference in my own kids lives. They are already coming home with papers saying they score in the top 10% in the nation. My kids excel because Charles and I sit with them for upward of two hours every night making sure they get their work done and understand concepts. I often hear parent's talk about the new charter school like it's going to change their kids lives--get them out of the dirty, rotten, school up the street to a place of eternal bliss which will result in scholarships to Stanford, Oxford, Berkley, Harvard and Yale. It's delusional.

7. Spiritual reasons which I will explain. One of Charles and my biggest priorities is our children's eduaction. We feel that God has always blessed us to know where are kids need to be. We never felt inspired by the new charter school.

Why I bothered writing this blog.

I'm tired of listening to all the ills (mostly hyperbole) about my elementary school. Friends like me, who are keeping their kids at the school, say that instead of receiving a visiting teaching lesson they had to hear the preachings of Early Light. I'm sick of the talk that sounds like sending my kids to the school up the street will result in their toenails being nailed to the floor. I'm tired of the underlying assumptions in all of this talk which is; my kid is going to be better off than yours. Have you met my children? Or the other assumption which is; you haven't thought the issue out clearly. Sorry to say but I have thought this out plenty, and have decided it's a no go.

12 comments:

dede said...

YOU will always know what is best for your kids. It sounds to me like you made the right decision.

Chelsea Nelson said...

I love it, I love it. I can feel the fire in your words...

I thought about you the other day. I was canoeing in my backyard and saw an eagle in the tree that was ahead. It was a beautiful moment for me but I thought you'd appreciate it far more than I did.

Erica said...

It's strange the way a bird sighting has the power to transform.

Lamb Fam said...

Go Erica!

kathy w. said...

Good moms know best and should always stick to their guns. Rock on.

Kristie said...

Amen Sista. I think I'm going to have to visit your blog more often.

Très Sucré said...

I'm with you too!

Somer said...

All the same reasons my two will be staying where they are and I have one more but you'll have to ask me because I can't share it here.

Kim Wimmer said...

My words exactly! Well, not verbatim but pretty darn close. I loved the letter from the school that my kids brought home today.

Brian Roberts said...

Usually, when someone is overly vehement about something it's because their feelings were hurt somehow...similar to the many people who proclaim acidity concerning the LDS church.

It's so easy to stay pat for the predictable reward. But for our daughter, myself and one of my sisters, the public system was and is a joke...for other kids that are fine with fitting the mouldy mold that public schools demand, terrific for them. Certainly this new school is a risk...but if it is at the very least DIFFERENT then YAHOO! We're not too keen on seeing Bay merely prepared to enter the MATRIX with everyone else. This risky opportunity for something different is, at the very least, worth the attempt for a much better experience for Bay. If the fact that she was accepted labels us as elite or elitist to some, well, so be it.
By the way Erika, enjoy your writing. I may not be in accord, but can appreciate your firmness.

Erica said...

What is there not to be in accord with? I'm saying that those of us staying have good reasons for it. Period. I'm sure your reasoning stacks up in such a way that makes you feel like it's the right choice. But I'm saying to everyone out there who thinks their choice is better than mine (that sending my kid to the public school is like sending them to the matrix)--let me be about my choice. We are all making decisions based on what we think is best for our kids.

Brian Roberts said...

Everyone, including those whom you respect and admire (that are keeping their kids at the public school) and yourself, stacks their reasoning in such a way that makes them feel like their choices are right. I can easily write, as you do, that those of us leaving the public system have good reasons for it. Period. I can also say that some are doing so to feel superior...certainly not a good reason.

Many, like ourselves, feel the status quo is not for our particular children...not because we feel our children are better than others', but rather because we wish for our particular children a different experience. Bay's experience in the school (as well as with some of the faculty) you extol has been horrendous in several ways.

They still haven't figured out that it matters what kids eat, or how to celebrate children with "bigger" personalities (than those that can sit and write peacefully for long periods of time), rather than force-fit them into their vision of normal and correct.
Not every child has your children's personalities...yet the public educational system generally expects all kids to conform to their ideal because it is easier for those within the system. Your particular children obviously thrive in that environment...our child does not. I did not. Therefore we seek an alternative philosophy...one that may cater better to Bay's strengths. I am fully aware the charter school will have problems and growing pains...just as the public school still does.

I am reminded of people that jump through hoops for the opportunity to be offended because we choose not to eat meat (most of the time). They assume we are belittling them for choosing to eat meat...simply by mentioning we do not eat meat. That's not it at all, we simply wish to be healthier for health's sake and this is our manner of doing so.

Now, those who ACTUALLY belittle other's choices via pious self-congratulatory comments are asses...on this we concur.