About Me

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Home Sweet Home


Today is one of those rare days when I had absolutely nothing going on. The meeting I regularly go to on Thursday was cancelled and the children were out of school. I didn't have to leave the house once. I made pancakes for the kids this morning, and then I cleaned the kitchen 'til it shined. I set the kids to their jobs; sweep the floor, mop the floor, vacuum the carpets, pick up the toys and by noon the house was clean enough. The kids found projects or friends and I finally had time to write. I become like a cat when it is time to write. I sleep for a couple hours, write a page and then sleep again. My goal was to write four pages today, now I am at three. My story is coming along. 
  For dinner I made all heavy "comfort" foods. It must be the cool air. I roasted potatoes and made hamburger gravy over toast (a staple meal from my childhood). Harrison made banana bread because he felt like it, Anne headed off to a birthday party for a neighbor boy who has turned sixteen, Charles complained about the electricity the family uses and Mira, Max and I sat down to read The Penderwicks. Someone "ghosted" us with a jar full of candy. I ate a sucker and Mira and Max gobbled down sour straws. 
Now tomorrow is on my mind and I have readings, and writings, and lesson plans to do. But that will only last one day and then it will be Saturday.

2 comments:

Louise Plummer said...

Domesticity at its very best. Very satisfying.

Theodore said...

It's actually very similar to what we have going on today. Dede is making banana bread right now and we just finished discussing what level we are going to keep the thermostat at this winter. 64 degrees. I feel Chuck's pain.